Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of--throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Culinary Double Header

I really don't like to cook. I love to eat good food...sometimes, it's good for me, sometimes not. Today, I not only cooked, I baked! My sweet daughters birthday required some sort of sugary confection. Cupcakes were her choice.
Posted by Picasa


Somehow, no matter now hard I try, the presence of children and food coloring in the same setting causes my nerves to go haywire. Am I the only one who has had those days? When you have tried, unsuccessfully, to clean red food coloring off of hands, clothes, towels and floors simultaneously? (I can hear my dear Frankie now, reminding me that if I stopped using food coloring, with it's nasty petroleum base, I wouldn't have this problem. Yes. You would be right Frankie dear. One day, I will take the plunge...but not this day. You are a braver woman than I.)

Thankfully, today was not one of those days!! The cupcake bonanza was a hit. Even the dog thought so, which is another subject for another day. We piled them high and deep and admired their white, pink and green frosting flourishes. We carried the shining silver platter through the living room for all to admire (read: Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle and our super seven kiddos).

Posted by Picasa

I decided to capitalize on my baking success and take a crack at cooking spaghetti and meatballs for dinner- also my 3 year old daughters choice. Believe it or not, I pulled it off. And the kitchen is no worse for the war. Or wear. Don't know which I would say at this point....

No comments:

Post a Comment